What is Paramol and when is it used?
Paramol tablets contain the dual action pain relief of both paracetamol and dihydrocodeine. It targets moderate pain quickly and effectively. This medication is ideal for patients who need stronger relief than just paracetamol or ibuprofen alone. Paramol can be addictive and should only be used for three days at a time.
Can I buy Paramol over the counter?
Paramol is available over the counter. A pharmacist will ask some eligibility questions to make sure the treatment is suitable for you before dispensing.
What is the recommended dosage of this treatment?
Each Paramol tablet contains 500mg of paracetamol and 7.46mg of dihydrocodeine. The number of tablets taken at a time will depend of your age:
- Patients over the age of 16:
- One or two tablets every four to six hours
- Do not take more than eight tablets within a 24 hour period
- Patients aged 12-15:
- One tablet every 4-6 hours
- Do not take more than four tablets within a 24 hour period
Do not take Paramol for more than three days at a time.
When should Paramol not be used?
Paramol should not be used by patients under the age of 12. Do not take this medication if you:
- Are taking antidepressants
- Are taking any other paracetamol or codeine products
How should I store Paramol?
Paramol should be stored in a dry, cool environment that does not exceed 25°C.
Always read the patient information leaflet before commencing treatment.