What is REGAINE® and how does it work?
REGAINE® Extra Strength Foam 5% is used to treat hereditary hair loss in men aged 18-49. The medication contains minoxidil as its active ingredient, which aids blood flow to the hair follicles of the scalp to increase the follicle size and hair shaft diameter. This prevents further hair loss and promotes hair regrowth.
With hereditary hair loss, a combination factors lead to hair thinning on the scalp. Genetics, hormones, and age all have a role to play in progressive shrinking of hair follicles and a decrease in the hair growth cycle. Over an extended period of time, the scalp will produce smaller and finer hairs with each cycle. Eventually the hair growth in some areas may cease entirely.
Can I use REGAINE®?
Young men with thinning hair or a coin-sized patch at the top of the scalp are likely to benefit the most from this treatment. If you have been bald for years or have large patches of hair loss on your head, Regaine may not help.
How do I use REGAINE®?
The treatment is for men, is only to be used externally and nowhere other than the scalp. You should apply 1g of the foam (half a capful) to the affected area twice a day and leave for 12 hours.
How effective is REGAINE®?
You may start to see soft, downy hair growth in just 8 weeks, although it can take up to 12.
How long does REGAINE® take to work?
As hair growth is a slow process, it can take up to 8-12 weeks for there to be any visible improvement in hair volume.
What is the difference between REGAINE® Foam and REGAINE® Solution?
Both REGAINE® Foam and REGAINE® Solution contain the active ingredient Minoxidil at 5%. The difference between the two products is the dispensing method and the excipients. REGAINE® Foam is supplied in pressurised canisters while REGAINE® Solution is supplied in spray bottles. Both products are as effective as each other as they both contain the same level of their active ingredient Minoxidil.
Instructions for use
- Wash your hands thoroughly before and after application
- Make sure your hair is completely dry before applying
- Remove the cap and squeeze the nozzle while holding the can vertically upright to dispense half a capful. The foam will melt with body heat, so be sure not to handle the product for any longer than you have to
- Apply the foam to the affected area and massage gently
- Use REGAINE® twice a day, 12 hours apart
Keep in mind
- Only apply REGAINE® twice a day, approximately twelve hours apart. Extra application will not increase effectiveness but may increase likelihood of side effects
- Apply 1g of REGAINE® Foam at a time
- Make sure the foam is applied to a dry scalp
- As long as you wash your hands immediately afterwards, gloves for application are not necessary
- Using a fine tooth comb can cause unnecessary stress on the hair follicles and is not recommended. If you wish to use a comb, use one which has widely spaced teeth and rounded tips
- Regaine is clinically proven to be effective for 90% of men
- During the first few weeks of treatment, you may experience some extra shedding. This is perfectly normal, the medication is stimulating new hair follicles to grow in the place of older dormant ones
- The continued effectiveness of REGAINE® depends on consistent use. If treatment is stopped for extended periods, the results
- REGAINE® is not guaranteed to work for everyone. If it is not being effective for you, contact us and we will be able to advise you on alternative treatments
What are the side effects of Regaine?
Like all medications, Regaine can have some side effects, although not all patients will experience these. The most common side effect is a headache, which can affect 1 in 10 people. Others include excessive hair growth and itching.
Always read the patient information leaflet before commencing treatment.