What causes hair loss?
There are numerous causes of hair loss including underlying illness, genetics, stress, anaemia, fungal infections, and simply getting older. In women, hormonal changes can also cause them to lose hair, such as in childbirth or menopause.
What are the different types of hair loss?
There are several different types of hair loss for both men and women:
- Male pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia): The most common type of hair loss in men, it affects about half of the male population by the age of 50. Male pattern baldness is hereditary and characterised by loss of hair at the hairline, crown, and temples. The hair thins because of the sensitivity of the hair follicles, but treatments such as finasteride and propecia are licenced for this type of hair loss.
- Female pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia): Similar to the male variety, women lose hair from the top of their head. It also runs in families (genetic) and often worsens with menopause.
- Alopecia totalis and alopecia universalis: While alopecia totalis is the complete loss of hair from the head, alopecia universalis sees total hair loss from the head and all over the body as well. These types can be due to a traumatic event such as chemotherapy.
- Alopecia areata: Patchy hair loss is most common in teenagers and young adults, and it tends to grow back in a few months. Alopecia areata can be caused by an imbalance in the body’s immune system.
- Telogen effluvium: Stress from childbirth, illness, or sudden weight loss can cause your hair to shed or thin. This type of hair loss is usually temporary.
What are the different treatments for hair loss?
Depending on your circumstances and preferences, you can try the following hair loss treatments: Regaine containing minoxidil for topical treatment, finasteride tablets, and hair transplants. Otherwise, you can always try a wig, supplements and the widely popular caffeine Alpecin shampoo for both men and women. The caffeine in the shampoo stimulates the follicles and encourages them to remain active to promote hair growth.