What is Nytol One-A-Night?
Nytol One-A-Night is an over-the-counter sleeping medication containing the active ingredient diphenhydramine hydrochloride. For those experiencing sleeping difficulties, Nytol One-A-Night acts as a sleep aid to help get a better night’s rest.
What is Nytol One-A-Night used for?
Nytol One-A-Night can be taken to help relieve temporary sleeping difficulties, which is defined as any period of sleeplessness lasting up to two weeks. Sleeping difficulties may be experienced due to a range of underlying causes such as stress, jet lag, or the side effects of medication.
How does Nytol One-A-Night work?
Nytol One-A-Night works by decreasing the level of arousal that occurs in the brain to help induce sleep more easily. Nytol contains the active ingredient diphenhydramine hydrochloride, an antihistamine that helps to block histamine from stimulating arousal-promoting areas of the brain. Nytol can be taken to help those experiencing temporary sleeplessness by making it easier to fall asleep as well as promoting more restful sleep.
Who should not take Nytol One-A-Night?
Do not take Nytol One-A-Night if you:
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to diphenhydramine hydrochloride or any of the other ingredients within Nytol One-A-Night.
- Have an obstruction in your stomach or gut (e.g. an ulcer).
Speak to your doctor before taking Nytol One-A-Night if you:
- Have asthma, bronchitis or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
- Have narrow-angle glaucoma (a form of raised pressure in the eye).
- Have an enlarged prostate or experience urinary retention.
- Have moderate to severe liver or kidney disease.
- Have myasthenia gravis, epilepsy or seizure disorders.
- Have an intolerance to certain sugars.
- Have diabetes (Type 1 or Type 2).
- Are taking any prescribed medications, particularly tricyclic antidepressants, or have taken monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs prescribed for depression) within the last two weeks, atropine (used to dilate the pupils of the eyes) or other medications that may induce drowsiness.
You should also be aware before taking Nytol One-A-Night that:
- You should not drive or operate machinery after taking a dose.
- You should not drink alcohol while taking a dose as this increases the effects of Nytol One-A-Night.
What’s the difference between Nytol One-A-Night, Nytol Original and Nytol Herbal Simply Sleep?
Nytol Original and Nytol One-A-Night both contain the same active ingredient, diphenhydramine, but in different doses. Nytol Original contains 25mg of diphenhydramine, whereas Nytol One-A-Night contains 50mg. Nytol Herbal Simply Sleep does not contain any diphenhydramine and instead has valerian root extract which is commonly used to treat sleep disorders, anxiety and psychological stress.
How long does Nytol One-A-Night last for?
Usually the effects of Nytol One-A-Night last between four and six hours after taking a dose. It is often reported that users feel some level of drowsiness the day after taking a dose; if this applies to you, avoid driving and operating heavy machinery.
How do you take Nytol One-A-Night?
For adults and children over 16 years old, swallow one Nytol tablet with water around 30 minutes before bed.
How do you store Nytol One-A-Night?
Store Nytol One-A-Night in a cool, dry place out of reach and sight of children. Discontinue use of Nytol after the expiry date marked on the packaging.
Can I take Nytol One-A-Night whilst pregnant or breastfeeding?
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking a dose of Nytol One-A-Night if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
How long does it take Nytol One-A-Night to work?
You should begin to feel the effects of Nytol around 20-30 minutes after taking your dose. As such, it’s recommended that you take your Nytol dose around 30 minutes before going to bed.
What are the ingredients of Nytol One-A-Night?
Nytol One-A-Night contains:
- 50mg diphenhydramine
- Anhydrous lactose
- Microcrystalline cellulose
- Maize starch
- Stearic acid
- Silicon dioxide
What if I forget to take a dose of Nytol One-A-Night?
If you miss a dose of Nytol One-A-Night, do not attempt to make this up the following evening by taking two. Simply continue taking the recommended dose of Nytol as instructed.
Can I take other antihistamines whilst taking Nytol One-A-Night?
Do not take other antihistamines with Nytol One-A-Night.